SAFETY AND SETUP
- Ensure your workspace is open and has good ventilation. Some enameling powders contain small amounts of lead-based toxins you should not be exposed to for prolonged lengths of time in a small unventilated space.
- Put on your safety goggles and tie back long hair (if appropriate).
- Prepare your workspace for the enameling process, ensuring that you work on a heat resistant surface and all flammable materials are moved away from your workspace. Investing in some inexpensive ceramic tiles is a great way of protecting your workbench as you work.
- Put your tripod in a comfortable working position with the mesh firing screen resting on top. Place your trivet on the surface of the mesh firing screen and your pre-prepared piece of metal onto the trivet.
- Now you’re ready to light up your torch and begin the enameling process. Before you do, make sure the torch is placed beneath the mesh firing screen, in a comfortable enough position for you to work in.